7/17/2011

Updated List

人気ブログランキングへ

Tre: T Kaz: K

During the free chat…

T: Kaz, do you have something to share before we start the lesson
for tonight?
K: Hmmm… Yeah, it’s about…. about…. (closing his eyes and thinking
deeply) it’s on the tip of my tongue…
T: Let me give you some hints; it might help you to recall something.
K: OK (preparing to listen attentively).
T: Is it about your favorite baseball team? …your family, earthquake,
radiation, work?
K: Wait…wait, I think you hit something…Did you say “world”?
T: Nope, I mentioned “work” in the latter part of my sentence.
I’m just guessing that you will cite some significant events in
your office.
K: Ah ok. It’s not about that. I am not in the mood to talk about
work-related issues now. I’m certain it is about world….world…
world (mumbling the word “world” repeatedly)… world he..ri...tage.
Yes it’s about World Heritage.
T: So what’s the big deal?
K: Haven’t you heard something about World Heritage sites in
my country?
T: As far as I know, Japan has numerous World Heritage sites.
It has eleven cultural and three natural World Heritage sites.
K: Well, those figures are obsolete.
T: Really (surprised)? Did UNESCO drop off some sites
in their roster?
K: That’s not the case; it’s the other way around.
The Buddhist temples, gardens and archaeological landscape
in Hiraizumi, Iwate Prefecture became the 12th cultural
World Heritage site and the Ogasawara Islands directly
south of Tokyo as the 4th natural World Heritage site.
T: That’s awesome! I am amazed that UNESCO officially
declared those two sites. I have never been to those
places but I heard about their grandeur and beauty.
K: We shared the same feelings. I am so elated when I read the news.
I have high hopes that more locations will be registered as World
Heritage sites. Without a doubt, those sites are sources of pride
for the Japanese people and serve as tangible gifts for the future
generations.
T: Right, right!
K: Have you been to any of the World Heritage sites in Japan?
T: Yup, on Yakushima Island, Kagoshima Prefecture where I got a
significant finding about my research.
K: Significant finding… did you dig up a treasure trove?
T: I found novel species of bacterium thriving in Kudzu plants which
I named after the island.
K: Wow! That’s a great biological treasure! Any information about
this microbe?
T: If you are really interested, you can google Devosia yakushimensis.
K: Certainly, I will. Thanks.




●Vocabulary:

★current roster - 現在の名簿、リスト
★tip of my tongue - 喉まで出かかっている
★hints - ヒント
★attentively - 注意深く
★radiation - 放射線
★latter part - あとの部分、終わりの部分
★significant events - 重要な出来事
★mumbling - モゴモゴ、ブツブツ言う
★World Heritage - 世界遺産
★big deal - 重大事件、重大事
★obsolete - 時代遅れの、もう使われていない
★drop off - 外れる、衰える
★the other way around - 逆に、反対に
★archaeological landscape - 遺跡景観
★awesome - 素晴らしい、すごい、最高の
★grandeur - 偉大さ、壮大さ
★shared the same feelings - 同じ思いを共有する
★elated - 鼻高々の
★tangible - 具体的な、実際の
★future generations - 未来の世代
★significant finding - 重大な発見
★treasure trove - 宝の山、宝庫
★novel species of bacterium - 新種の細菌
★thriving - 繁栄している
★microbe - 微生物
★google - グーグルを使ってインターネットで検索する





「最新版リスト(現在の世界遺産登録リスト)」

Tre: トレ Kaz: カズ

雑談の中で...

T: カズ、今日レッスンが始まる前になにか話すことあるかな?
K: うーん...そうだ、あれについて...あれ...(目を閉じて考え込む)
ここまで出かかってるんだけど...
T: ヒントを上げるよ。何か思い出せるかも。
K: わかった。(よく聞く準備をする)
T: 好きな球団についてとか? ...家族、地震、放射能、ワーク?
K: ちょっと待って...どれか当たったと思う...「ワールド」って言った?
T: いいや、挙げたうちの最後の方で「ワーク」って言ったよ。職場での
なにか重要な出来事を言うのかなと思って。
K: ああ、なんだ。それについてじゃないんだ。今は仕事関係のことを
話す気分じゃないよ。世界についてなのは確かなんだけどな...。
世界...世界...(「世界」という語をブツブツ繰り返す)
世界い..さ...ん。そう世界遺産についてだよ。
T: で、それがどうかしたのかい?
K: この国の世界遺産についてなにか聞いてないの?
T: 僕の知ってる限りでは、日本には数多く世界遺産があるっていうこと。
11の文化遺産と3つの自然遺産がある。
K: ええと、その数は古いよ。
T:(驚いて)本当に? ユネスコがいくつか登録から外したのかい?
K: そうじゃないよ。逆だよ。岩手県にある平泉の仏教寺院、庭園と
古代遺跡景観が12番目の世界文化遺産になって、東京の真南にある
小笠原諸島が4番目の自然遺産になったのさ。
T: そりゃすごいね! ユネスコが正式にその2箇所を認定した
ことにびっくりしたよ。それらの場所に行ったことはないけど、その
雄大さと美しさは聞いてるよ。
K: 僕も同感だね。そのニュースを読んだときは興奮したよ。僕は、もっと
多くの場所が世界遺産として登録されるのを大いに期待してるよ。
それらの場所は日本人にとって誇りになるし、次世代への形ある遺産
としての役目を果たすことは間違いないよ。
T: そう、そう!
K: 日本にある世界遺産のどこかに行ったことある?
T: うん、鹿児島県の屋久島。そこで僕の研究に関するとても重要な発見を
したんだ。
K: 重要な発見...宝の山でも掘り当てたのかい?
T: 僕が島に因んだ名前を付けた、クズに繁殖している新種のバクテリアを
発見したんだ。
K: へえ! それはすばらしい生物学的お宝だね! その微生物に関して
なにか情報は?
T: もし本当に興味があるなら、グーグルで「Devosia yakushimensis」
で検索するといいよ。
K: うん、そうするよ。ありがとう。


人気ブログランキングへ