3/15/2011

Amazing Japanese People 日本人ってすごい!

人気ブログランキングへ


It has been three days after the earthquake and every now and then, we are still experiencing aftershocks. In plain language, I haven't slept well in the last three days. How could I when my apartment sways with each and every jolt? It is as if it's practicing its dance routine for the next episode of Fox TV show "So You Think You Can Dance."

When the earthquake hit, I really thought it was the end (not wanting to sound melodramatic but I really thought it was). I quietly said a prayer to the Almighty as I watched the electric poles sway to the music Mother Nature is playing. Maybe it was after the third shake that I found myself right in front of the nearest station to my house. Amidst all that chaos, I still had the sense to grab my coat, wallet, some food and water, most importantly my passport. The idea that I need to withdraw some money made me run all the way in less than 3 minutes (which was surprising because it usually takes me 5 minutes to run that distance when I am trying to catch the morning train... the wonders of adrenaline!).

As I was about to insert my ATM card, the ground shook once more. The Japanese man outside the convenience store knocked on the glass wall and shouted for everyone to get out. I did. When I surveyed the area, I saw that a lot of people were gathered near the big open space in front of the train tracks. As I copied what the Japanese women (I sat and stood up when they did), I realized they were watching something calmly. When I looked up, I saw to my horror that there were two huge cranes dancing the tango on top of an ongoing condominium or building construction. Yikes! All we could do was stare with mouth wide open and hope this sight doesn't turn into a nightmare.

The feeling of helplessness really sank in when I couldn't call anyone using my smartphone. However, amidst all the chaos of the earthquake, aftershocks and radiation, one thing really proved its usefulness... Social media. The moment I realized that the Internet can still be accessed, I posted a message in my Facebook account this simple status, "that scared me big time." Simple and direct yet my words shouted everything I couldn't say at that time. From then on, family members and friends across the globe knew that I was safe and the messages started to pour in. They were all concerned especially when CNN showed some footages about the tsunami. According to my mother, some of our relatives and friends called our house to check up on my well-being. At that moment, my heart overflowed with gratitude.

I stayed in the open space until I could tolerate the biting cold. After an hour or so, I went back to my apartment and turned on the TV. That was when the gravity of the situation hit me. Then, I realized that I don't have the right to complain. The images and videos being shown on TV were heart-wrenching. I cannot put into words what I felt at that time when I saw the wave crashing down on the houses and engulfing everything in its path.

What happened last Friday is a very humbling experience. In a country that has been preparing for such event for several years, Mother Nature once again showed us that no amount of technology and artificial intelligence can outsmart her or even exactly predict what is about to come. However, I believe that the spirit of all the people in Japan will prevail.


◆日本人ってすごい!◆


原子力発電所の被害とともに、絶え間ない余震、気象庁の予測などが重くのしかかっているなか、私たちに起こっている良いことにも目を向けてみましょう。

もしこの災害が他の国(私の国を含めて)で起こったのなら、もっと違った風景になったでしょう。この災害に直面した時の日本人の規律と冷静さは賞賛に値します。人々に威厳、他の人に対する敬意と心遣いは素晴らしいですね。

近くのスーパーに食料と水を買いに行ったとき、お店の店員さんはいつもどおりでした。3/11の地震の前とおんなじ様にお客さんに挨拶していました。びっくりです。

仕事のあと家に帰るとき、お昼のために肉まんを買いにコンビニに立ち寄りました。カウンターの後ろにいる人たちは、この前の金曜日にお金をおろそうとしてきたときと同じ人たちでした。彼らはまるで私が昼食の支払いをしたかのように挨拶してくれました。コンビニを出るとき「Take care(注意してくださいね)」というと、その女性はにっこりして私に同じ事を言ってくれました。すごい!

私の女性の生徒さんの一人が、地震の次の日に東京で電車を待っていた時のことを話してくれました。彼女によると、電車を待っていた人たちは、駅員さんの指示がたびたび変更されるにもかかわらず、忍耐強く並んで待っていたそうです。誰も割り込みなんかしませんでしたと彼女は付け加えました。信じられない!

計画停電のとき、信号が消えていてもドライバーは誰もそれを利用してずるしようとしませんでした。彼らはとても礼儀正しかった。目的地に着くのに何時間もかかるにもかかわらず、車線を乱したりしないのです。すばらしい!

電車が止まってしまったため、多くの人たちが東京で足留めされてしまいました。多くの人たちが家にたどり着くためだけのために、寒空の下何時間も歩きました。びっくりです。

需要と供給の法則はお店では通用しませんでした。食料品店の中のパン屋さんは価格を引き上げる代わりに、価格を引き下げました。
すべてのパンが98円で売られていました。なんてすごいの!


私の地域で、警察官は目立っていませんでしたが、略奪の気配はありませんでした。日本人の中では略奪という言葉が無いのだと思いました。すごい!

地震に襲われ、生存者の救助に追われ、地震と津波によってもたらされた莫大な損害からの復旧に努め、原発からの放射線の軽減に努めている国において、ともすると希望の兆しを見つけるのは難しいことです。でも、私達が今すべきことは、周囲を見回すことです。

日本にとって日本人こそがたからものなのです。


人気ブログランキングへ