9/18/2009

The Land of Smiles





E - Emery M - Mai K - Kai Em - Emi


The learners are ebullient to see Emery.


K: Welcome back Emery!


M: We missed you.


E: Ditto! It is good to be back. I had a magnificent vacation.

So how was your class last week?


Em: It was good. The substitute governess gave us an easy homework.

  (Mai raises her right hand to volunteer.


M: We have to ask one question about your trip to Thailand.

Here’s mine, what was the most remarkable place you visited?


E: Ayutthaya which was the old capital of Thailand and a UNESCO

World Heritage Site. It’s a very serene place and has lots of

breathtaking views. It is famous for its historical ruins.

You should see this place.


Em: You whetted my appetite for Thailand. Anyway, describe the

best part of your trip.


E: When I rode on an elephant’s back in Ayutthaya, I had a

fleeting fear during the start but after a while, I was able

to conquer it. It was a 40-minute ride and at the last part,

the elephant caretaker took my video and photos. It was a

heart-stopping experience. I’ll show some pictures next time.


K: I can hardly wait! For my question, since I like Thai food,

how did you find it?


E: I tried Pat Thai or spicy stir-fried noodle, Som-tam or spicy

papaya salad and Tom Yum Koong or spicy & sour prawn soup.

The dishes had a startling flavor, a combination of sour,

spicy and sweet taste. They were all scrumptious.


K: Emery stop! The food makes me hungry. (producing a growling

sound).


M: I have one last question. Were you able to meet interesting

people?


E: Oh yeah. After the captivating Siam Niramit show, I asked a

Japanese couple to take my pictures with the cast and in

return I took their pictures. I thanked them in Japanese and

they were flabbergasted, so they asked further questions and

when they found out that I am an English teacher in Japan,

the lady blurted out ‘please teach me!’

I was about to answer when their tour guide approached them

informing that they had to leave. I guess there’s no escaping

being an English teacher!


All three: You said it right!


Emery gave them souvenirs and immediately started the lesson.

●Vocabulary   

★ebullient

あふれんばかりの、威勢のいい、活気にあふれた

★ditto

同じく

★magnificent

 壮大な、素晴らしい、見事な

★remarkable

 注目に値する、優れた、卓越した

★breathtaking

息をのむような、すごい、驚くほどの

★ruin

(建物などの)廃虚、遺跡

★whet somebody’s appetite for something

~の欲望をかき立てる、興味をそそる、関心を呼び覚ます

★fleeting

 いつしか消え去る、つかの間の、あっという間に過ぎ去る

★conquer

(困難・障害・病気などを)克服する、乗り越える

★heart-stopping

 心臓が止まる(かと思う)ような

★I can hardly wait

 待ちきれない

★stir-fried

 強火で素早くいためた

★startling

 驚くべき、衝撃的な

★scrumptious

 とても(ほっぺたが落ちるほど)おいしい(うまい)

★captivating

 魅惑的な、人の心をとらえる、うっとりさせる

★flabbergasted

 びっくり仰天した、驚愕した

★blurt out

うっかり口に出す、口走る、思わず言ってしまう

★there’s no escaping something

~には逆らえない、逃れようがない

"微笑みの国"

E - エメリー M - マイ  K - カイ Em - エミ

ラーナー達はエメリーに会うを今か今かと楽しみにしている。

K: お帰りーエメリー!

M: 寂しかったよ。

E: 私もよ!ただいま。ほんっとに素敵な休暇だったわ。

  それで、先週のクラスはどうだったの?

Em: 楽しかったわよ。代理のガヴァネスが簡単な宿題にしてくれた

  の。

  (マイがはいっと右手を上げる。)

M: みんなであなたのタイ旅行について聞くという宿題。

私のはコレ。行った中で一番素敵だった場所は?

E: ユネスコ世界遺産地の古都、アユタヤね。とっても静かなとこ

  ろで息をのむ光景をたくさん目の当たりにしたわ。歴史的な遺

  跡で有名よ。みんなにも見てもらいたい場所だわ。

Em: タイへの興味を湧かせてくれたわね。さてと、今回の旅行の一

  番の醍醐味を教えて。

E: アユタヤで象の背中に乗ったときのことかしら。始めのうちは

恐る恐るだったけど、無事乗り越えられたわ。乗ってる時間は

  40分間で、最後に象を世話する人がビデオと写真を撮ってくれ

  たの。心臓が止まるような体験だったわ~。次回、写真を見せ

  るわね。

K: 待ちきれないよ!えー僕の質問は、僕、タイ料理が好きだから、

食べ物はどうだったか。

E: スパイシーな焼きビーフン、パッタイ、スパイシーなパパイヤ

  サラダのソムタム、それにスパイシーで酸っぱいエビの入った

  スープ、トムヤムクンを食べたの。料理は、酸っぱいのと辛い

  のと甘いものの組み合わせでびっくりするような味だったわ。

  どれもほっぺたが落ちるくらい美味しかったー。

K: エメリー、はいそこまで!その料理のせいでおなかペコペコだ

  よ。

(グーグーおなかの鳴る音をさせ)

M: 最後の質問。興味深い人々には出会えた?

E: ええ、もちろん。サイアムニラミットショーに魅了された後、

  出演者と一緒に写真を撮ってもらおうと、ある日本人カップル

  に頼んだの。で、お礼に私も彼女たちの写真を撮ってあげたの

  よ。二人に日本語でお礼を言ったら、ビックリしたみたいでさ

  らに質問をしてきて、私が日本で英語の先生をしているって知

  ったとたん、思わず「私に教えて~!」って。

  私が答えようとしたら、もう行く時間だって伝えに彼女たちの

  ツアーガイドが来ちゃったの。私、英語の先生っていう仕事か

  らは逃れられないんだわ!

All three: その通り!

エメリーはみんなにお土産を渡し、すぐにレッスンに入った。