9/21/2009

"A first-hand experience"


E: Euneece K: Kazu T: Tomomi

After the two learners shared how their weekend went...

K: How about you, Euneece?

E: Well, remember that story I told you about a learner
whose bag was snatched in broad daylight?

T: The one who was riding on her bicycle?

E: Exactly.

K: Don't tell me she encountered a similar experience again.

E: No, not like that.

T: Or someone else was victimized this time.

E: Bull's-eye! This time though, the victim was me.

K & T: For real? (in disbelief)

E: (nodding her head) Last Sunday, I made an early start
to work. On my way to the station, a young man came
from behind me, grabbed my bag and sped up his scooter.

T: Really? How horrible! (her eyes bulging with disgust)

K: (with sympathetic voice) Were you hurt? Did you call the police?

E: For a split second, I was glued to my bicycle and simply stared
at him as he carried my bag away. Then I found myself pedalling
my bicycle and following after him.

K: Did you catch up with him?

E: Definitely not. My bicycle was no match with his scooter. I
just wanted to see his plate number but there was none.

K: I'm sorry.

E: No, don't be (with a cheerful face). I'm glad I wasn't hurt.

T: But you must have lost a lot of things in your bag.

E: Indeed, I had some valuables in my bag but guess what,
(in an excited voice) I was able to get them all back!

T & K: Eh? (confused)

T: How? Were the authorities able to arrest the culprit?

E: I wished but unfortunately not. A goodhearted couple
found my bag abandoned somewhere in another city. They
took it and brought it to the nearest police station.
Within the same day, I got my belongings back.

K: All of it?

E: Almost. Surprisingly, everything was there except for
the cash to the last yen coin inside my wallet.

T: They're only after the money, huh?

E: Obviously.

T: Too bad. Recently, I heard about similar incidents from the news.

K: Me, too. But it's my first time to have heard it from a victim
whom I know.

E: Well, I'm sharing this in order for all of us to be always alert
and careful. We're all vulnerable to such vicious act.



●Vocabulary:

★in broad daylight
白昼堂々と
★victimize
~を犠牲にする
★bull's-eye
 命中、的中、大当たり
★For real?
 本当に?
★make an early start
 早めに出発する
★horrible
 恐ろしい、ひどい、最悪な
★bulging
 膨れた
★disgust
 嫌悪感、反感、むかつき
★sympathetic
同情の念を抱いた(示した)
★for a split second
 瞬時に、一瞬で
★glued to sth
 ~にくぎ付けになって、夢中になって
★sth was no match with sth
 ~は...にはかなわない、太刀打ちできない
★valuables
 金銭的価値が高い個人の貴重品
★culprit
犯罪者、犯人
★abandoned
見捨てられた、置き去りにされた
★to the last sth
最後の~
★alert
警戒した、注意を怠らない、用心深い
★vulnerable
被害・損傷を受けやすい、攻撃されやすい
★vicious
 たちの悪い、卑劣な、悪質な




"実体験"

E: ユニース K: カズ T: トモミ

二人のラーナーがそれぞれの週末についてを話し終えた後...

K: ユニースはどうだった?
E: ええとね、あるラーナーさんが白昼堂々とバッグをひったくら
れたって話覚えてる?
T: 自転車に乗ってたっていう女の人の?
E: そう。
K: まさか、彼女がまたおんなじような目に遭ったっていうんじゃ
  ないだろうね。
E: いいえ、そんなんじゃないわ。
T: もしくは今回は他の誰かが被害に遭ったとか。
E: 大当り!ただ、今回は私が被害者なの。
K & T: ほんとに?(信じられないといった様子で)
E: (うなずき)先週の日曜日、早めに仕事に出かけたのよ。駅に
向かう途中、若い男の人が後ろからやって来て私のバッグを
ひったくってスクーターを加速させて行っちゃったの。
T: ほんと?ひどい!(嫌悪で目を見開き)
K: (同情的な声で)怪我は?警察は呼んだの?
E: その瞬間、私は自転車にくぎ付けになって、私のバッグを
さらっていく彼を見つめたわ。そして気付くと自転車に乗
って彼を追いかけてたの。
K: 彼に追いつけた?
E: まさか。私の自転車じゃ彼のスクーターには太刀打ちできない
わよ。ただナンバープレートを見たかっただけ。でもついて
なかったのよ。
K: それはお気の毒に。
E: そんな、気にしないで。(明るい表情で)怪我しなくてよかっ
たんだから。
T: でも、バッグの中のものいろいろ失くしたんでしょ。
E: 確かに、バッグの中には貴重品が入ってたんだけど、聞いて
くれる?(はずんだ声で)全部戻ってきたの!
T & K: えっ?(困惑し)
T: どうやって?警察が犯人を捕まえてくれたの?
E: そうであって欲しかったけど。親切なご夫婦が、他の市に置き
去りにされた私のバッグを見つけてくれたのよ。それで近くの
警察署に届けてくれて。その日のうちに所持品が戻ってきたって
わけ。
K: 所持品、全部?
E: ほとんど。驚いたことに、お財布の中の最後の一円を除いては
全部よ。
T: 狙いはお金だけだったのね。
E: 言うまでもなく。
T: お気の毒様。最近、似たような事件をニュースで聞いたわ。
K: 僕も。でも知っている人が実際に被害にあったのは初めてだよ。
E: そうね、私がこれを話してるのは、私達みんな日ごろから用心
して気を抜かないようにするためよ。私達みんな、そうした
悪質な行為の被害を受けやすいんだから。