1/25/2012

Under the Weather


人気ブログランキングへ



Sc: Scott  F: Felicity  U: Umi  Em: Emery  N: Nicole

As the long day comes to a close, our wonderful GVs sit
at their computers and work on their office duties.
However, not all is well.

Sc: I haven't been feeling so hot today, but I don't
    have a headache or fever. I wonder what's wrong
    with me.
F:  Have you been keeping warm? It's been pretty cold
    these past few days.
Sc: I have been doing my best. I even started using my
    heater recently to take the chill off.
F:  Well, I don't know what to say. I did hear that
    there's a new nasty string of influenza going around,
    and that it's claiming a lot of people.
Sc: I don't think it's that. Besides, I only got the flu
    once, and that was when I was in junior high school.
    It came and went in a matter of hours.
U:  Lucky you. When I was young, the flu claimed me for
    two weeks. I felt like the walking dead, and was
    nearly bedridden. It was one of the worst two weeks
    of my life.
Em: Actually, now that you mention it, I have also been
    feeling a bit off my game since yesterday morning.
    I thought I was just tired from work, but my symptoms
    have persisted since then, and last night I slept
    like a rock.
Sc: I did too, I even forgot to turn off my heater last
    night.
Em: Well, that may just be your culprit. It's not good
    to keep your heater running all night. It really
    wears your body out, and makes you more susceptible
    to getting sick.
Sc: That doesn't make sense. Why would it be detrimental
    to my health?
N:  The air-conditioning units are pretty dusty. You can
    see if your landlord will clean it out, which might
    help, but as a rule of thumb, you shouldn't leave
    your air conditioner on all night long. I always put
    mine on a timer.
F:  Me too.
U:  Me three.
Sc: Okay, I get it. I'll take that into account before I
    use my heater next.



QUESTIONS

1. How has Scott been feeling?
A: He’s Never been better.
B: He’s been cold the past few days.
C: He might be coming down with something.
2. What did Felicity hear?
A: It’s been cold the past few days.
B: There’s recently been a problem with influenza.
C: It was the worst two weeks of her life.
3. What didn’t Scott do last night?
A: He forgot to turn on his heater.
B: He cleaned his air-conditioner.
C: He didn’t turn off his heater.



●VOCABULARY

★not feeling so hot = not feeling good/well
                        気分が悪い、体調が優れない
★take the chill off ~を少し温める
★nasty 厄介な
★string of 一連の、相次ぐ
★going around(be~)はやっている
★come and go(症状などが)現れたり消えたりする
★walking dead 歩く屍
★bedridden(病気などで)寝たきりの
★off one's game 調子(コンディション)悪い
★persist 持続する、続く
★sleep like a rock 岩のように眠る
★susceptible 影響を受けやすい、感染しやすい
★rule of thumb 経験則
★me three 私も。me too(=two)のあとに続けていう場合に
          使用される。
★take _ into account ~を考慮する



「体調がすぐれない」


Sc: スコット  F: フェリシティー  U: ウミ  Em: エメリー
N: ニコル

長い一日が終わろうとする頃、ガヴァネスたちはそれぞれ
パソコンに向かい仕事に勤しんでいる。
ただし、全員が体調が良いわけではないよう。

Sc: 今日はずっと体調がすぐれなくて、でも頭痛や熱がある
    わけではないんだよね。どうしたんだろう。
F:  暖かくしてた?ここ数日ずっと寒いじゃない。
Sc: そう心がけてたけどね。最近暖房も使い始めたし。
F:  うーん、何て言っていいかわからないけど。また厄介な
    インフルエンザが流行っていて多くの人々を煩わせてる
    みたいよ。
Sc: インフルエンザではないと思うんだよな。それに、前に
    一度なったことがあるけど、僕がまだ中学のときの話だよ。
    数時間のうちに症状が現れたり消えたりしてさ。
U:  そりゃ運がよかったわね。私なんて昔、インフルエンザに
    2週間も苦しめられたわよ。もう歩く屍のようで、ずっと
    寝たきりで。人生で最悪の2週間のひとつだったって言える
    わね。
Em: そう言われてみると、実は昨日の朝から私も今一つ調子が
    よくないのよね。ただの仕事の疲れかと思ってたけど
    その後も症状は続くし、昨夜は死んだように眠ったわ。。
Sc: 僕もだよ、昨夜は暖房を消すのも忘れちゃったくらいだから。
Em: ちょっと、それが原因かもしれないわよ。一晩中暖房をつけ
    っぱなしなんてよくないわ。身体に負担をかけちゃうし、
    体調を崩しやすくするんだから。
Sc: 納得いかないなあ。どうしてそれが健康に影響をもたらすの?
N:  冷暖房装置ってかなりほこりだらけなのよ。大家さんに掃除
    してもらえばわかるわ、だいぶ違うわよ。ただ、経験から言
    って一晩中暖房をつけっぱなしはよくないわね。私はいつも
    タイマーにしてるわ。
F:  私も。
U:  同じく。
Sc: はいはい、わかったよ。次に暖房を使う前にそれを考慮に入れ
    ておくよ。